2022 McKinney Quilt Show in conjunction with the City of McKinney's Dia de los Muertos Festival
Artwork by C. Skei
Exhibition Date: Saturday, October 29, 2022
Time: 10:00 AM until 3:00 PM
Awards Ceremony: 2:00 PM
Location: Downtown McKinney at the Heard-Craig Center for the Arts
205 W. Hunt Street
McKinney, TX 75069
Call for Quilters
Title and Intent of Exhibition: Day of the Dead: Art in Stitch
This is a free, public exhibit of work by Texas quilters, presented in connection with the City of McKinney’s 2022 celebration of Dia de los Muertos. The exhibit will include a special display (by quilters of all ages) of work inspired by Disney's animated film, Coco.
Exhibit Concept Day of the Dead: Art in Stitch will showcase work by Texas quilters eager to explore traditional Dia de los Muertos imagery: mischievous skeletons, marigolds and other flowers, food offerings, religious icons, and countless other colorful design ideas. The theme is intentionally broad enough to encompass all sorts of art quilts, fiber art and textile surface design. The sky is the limit, though only quilt-like two-dimensional art will be accepted.
Exhibition Date and Location: Saturday, October 29, 2022 Katie’s Garden at the Heard-Craig Center for the Arts 205 West Hunt Street McKinney, TX 75069 972-569-6909 Note: The exhibition will be held in the garden, weather permitting. In the event of inclement weather, quilts will be displayed in the Heard-Craig Museum (main house). Please check the website, www.heardcraig.org, in the event of rain.
Call for entry issued: May 1, 2022
Show promotion opens on Facebook: May 15, 2022. The FB conversation continues through October 29, 2022. (Find the link at www.heardcraig.org.)
Submission of entries to Heard-Craig Center: October 21, 2022, 10 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Exhibition opens: Saturday, October 29, 2022, at 10 a.m., Heard-Craig Center for the Arts. The public is invited.
Awards ceremony: Saturday, October 29, 2022, at 2 p.m., Katie’s Garden of the HeardCraig Center for the Arts.
Quilt pick-up: Saturday, October 29, 2022, in the Garden, 3 - 5 p.m. or by special arrangement. (Call staff regarding special arrangements: 972-569-6909.)
The Venue The Heard-Craig Center for the Arts is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization founded in 1971 through a trust established by Kathryn Heard Craig (1884-1970) to encourage and promote the arts through the use of her historic home. The property, located in McKinney’s Historic District, includes the Heard-Craig Center for the Arts, the HeardCraig Carriage House, and Katie’s Garden. The center is two short blocks from McKinney’s popular downtown Square.
Eligibility and Requirements Please observe all submission requirements. Submissions not conforming to these guidelines cannot be accepted.
• Artist must be a Texas resident. Collaborative work will be accepted, but one artist involved must be a Texas resident. The address of the Texas resident will be required on the entry form.
• Artwork must honor the commonly accepted definition of a quilt: A quilt is a creative visual work that is both layered and stitched, or that clearly references the stitchedlayered, two-dimensional structure.
• Work must relate to the theme of the show and be appropriate to a family-friendly event.
• Work should have been completed in the last ten years.
• Submission is by in-person delivery to the Heard-Craig Center during hours of operation on October 21, 2022. (Other arrangements can be made by contacting the staff of the Heard-Craig Center in advance: 972-569-6909.)
• Each quilt submitted must have a firmly attached label on the back showing the name of the quilt and the artist’s name, complete address and phone number.
• Each submission must be accompanied by a completed entry form. (Find the form attached to this prospectus.) • Quilts should be at least 8” on one side and no larger than 72” on any one side. See the Categories section of this prospectus.
For details about sleeves and hanging apparatuses, see Preparation for Delivery section of this prospectus
Size Categories — Day of the Dead themed quilts
• Small Quilts: Each side must be at least 8 inches but no more than 30 inches.
• Medium Quilts: One side must be at least 30 inches with no sides greater than 50 inches.
• Large Quilts: One side must be at least 50 inches with no sides greater than 72 inches.
Special Exhibit Category — Coco-inspired quilts Quilters of all ages — with an emphasis on young quilters (18 years of age and under) — are invited to submit quilts inspired by the animated film Coco. The quilts may be any size up to 72 inches on the longest side. Quilters are asked to be original in their drawing/painting/applique/quilting processes in order to be respectful of copyright laws.
Judging and Prizes • Entries will be evaluated by a panel of judges. Judging will be based on overall artistic impact, design and technical skill.
• Prizes will be awarded in all categories. Special prizes for young quilters (18 years of age and under) will be awarded in the Coco-themed category.
• At least one Viewer’s Choice prize will be awarded.
Entry Fee and Sales • There is no entry fee for this show, but donations to the Heard-Craig Center for the Arts will be appreciated.
• Artwork will not be offered for sale at this show, but visitors interested in purchase may leave their contact information with the staff at the show. Artists interested in selling their work will follow up directly with interested parties.
Preparation for Delivery
• Large and medium quilts should have a sleeve on the back that is at least 4” in depth. A sleeve 3” in depth is acceptable for quilts 30” or less in both directions. No slats or poles should be included with the quilt. The Heard-Craig Center will provide the necessary hanging and displaying equipment.
• Optionally, the quilt may be mounted on gallery-wrapped canvas or framed with hanging wire attached to D-rings on the wooden support structure. No work framed behind glass will be accepted.
• Work must include a label firmly attached to the back showing the artist’s name, address and phone number, in addition to the title of the piece.
• Each quilt should be delivered in a protective bag (e.g., plastic bags for smaller pieces, pillowcases for larger, folded pieces).
• Each entry must be accompanied by a separate completed entry form. (Find the form at the end of this prospectus.
Print a copy of that page for each entry and fill out the information legibly.)
Insurance • The Heard-Craig Center provides insurance and security for the dropped-off quilts from October 21 through October 28. The Heard-Craig provides insurance during the exhibit. • Artists are responsible for insuring their work during delivery to and from the collection point.
Prospectus queries should be addressed to the staff of the Heard Craig Center for the Arts, email@example.com.